Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Callings

After being in the Primary (at church) for 4 years straight...I finally get to go to Relief Society, and Sunday School with my husband!!! I served as the Secretary, the 2nd Counselor, the Sunbeams teacher, AND the 5-year old class during those 4 years, and I did enjoy it. I will miss my 5-year olds, but I LOVE finally getting to go to sunday school with the hubby and meeting more of the women in the ward with this new calling. Well here it is ...Compassionate Service Leader. Ya, laugh it up. Not that it's not an important calling, because it's actually an incredibly important calling, its just not one most people would really want since it involves calling people up and asking them to serve by taking a meal to a family, etc. Luckily I've already sent around sign-ups for people willing to bring meals in the future...so I've got a starting point. With a young baby it's nice to not have to worry about preparing a lesson or anything for Sunday and I can just focus on my family.
I don't think I posted that Tyler got his first calling awhile back. He is the Elders Quorum Secretary! It's helping him get to know the other men there and he really enjoys helping plan some of the activities. He has already put together a basketball missionary project! Tyler already takes a few of his friends from work to play basketball with the missionaries & other members on Thursday nights...so he got the idea to have a big Saturday basketball tournament. There has to be some members & nonmembers on each team so they can all get to know eachother. Then after all the fun and games they'll have a meal provided and have some little tables set up with some lds info on them in case they want to take something home. I think it'll turn out really great!!

4 comments:

tamikay said...

Fun stuff! I think that is cool that Tyler is getting involved with the missionary effort through basketball. Sometimes people just need to see that our church buildings are normal, and the people are pretty normal too. Hopefully the members will mind their p's and q's on the court to set a good example. We had a knock down drag out fight last season.

Compassionate service leader is actually a neat calling, because you get to know and help with the needs of the sisters so you get to know them better. I always kept a frozen meal on hand just in case a meal needed to be brought in right away. If it wasn't needed, then I had a dinner for us. I'll have to email you some of my tried and true recipes.

tamikay said...

I forgot to say that I also had a funeral committee put together. It made life so much easier to put the meals together for the funerals and before and or after. I had a newborn at the time, so most of the time the committee would just run with it on their own.

*MICHELLE CAUDLE* said...

That's aweful about the basketball!! Luckily Tyler wasn't timid about telling the nonmembers he's brought, to BEHAVE! So far the guys really like playing with the missionaries! That's a great idea about always having a frozen meal...I'll be happy to see some of those recipes!! I SHOULD have done that (freezing meals) for after Addisyn's birth...but luckly I was in great shape but also we got tons of meals from people!! I know they are a huge time saver ANYTIME though!! And the funeral committee is a great idea!! Luckily we really never have funerals in our ward. In the 4 years we've been down here I think one person passed away, & that was when we were in the other ward. Most of the people are younger military families. *Knock on wood!*

tamikay said...

The fight was between two members. The nonmembers are always very good when they come. One of these days I've got to watch that Church ball movie!