Wednesday, July 9, 2008

**The 4th & 8th of July**





*Wow, over the last 3 weeks I've thought of lots of different things I could write blogs about...but since I was so frustrated with messing up my layout...I avoided my blog. Well now I'm back and I managed to spend some time fixing it...so hopefully you'll see new posts more often!!!


4TH OF JULY

First I better touch on the 4th of July. It was a lot of fun! Tyler's mom came over and we fired up the BBQ, busted out the bags of chips, oh and I made a pretty fruit salad like my mom had made in the past! I had also bought a fondue set so we did a chocolate fondue. (I bought the set for $15 at a Thrift store when it's normally like $60...it's a very pretty stainless steel set and it looked like only the forks in the set had been used...but what I wanted was an ELECTRIC fondue set but I didn't even think about it when I bought it...I didn't realize they even made a kind where you use a candle instead of plugging it in...my parents had electric ones!!) Shaylee was kind of scared of the fireworks, but Cayden was having a blast having daddy light them, then he'd throw them onto the street! Addisyn was pretty indifferent, especially after I put tissue in her ears so that it wouldn't be too noisy. Unfortunately...there was ONE casualty this 4th of July. I was backing up my car so that we could light fireworks in the driveway...when the car had some resistance...and I heard a quiet but weird noise. Tyler had told me earlier but I'd forgotten....the stroller was behind the car!!! What...you thought I wouldn't have made sure all my of children were in FRONT of the car before I drove? Trust me...I'm always very aware of where my kids are...but hello...why was the stroller behind my car??? Eh, luckily we have another one...this one already had problems from years of use from Cayden. I bent the front wheel pole so unfortunately it'll have to go to the trash instead of going to a garage sale or something! Earlier that day at the grocery store, the kids begged for giant lollipops. My first thought was "what a huge waste of money...I remember when my parents bought us some of those and we barely ate them..." Then I had to stop. It was one of those "aha" moments that my parents probably would have been proud of me for...because I then realized why my parents had probably bought us huge lollipops and giant jawbreaker candies. I know they bought the giant jawbreakers on the way to Utah so that we'd be quiet the whole ride while making our tongues raw from licking those giant things...but it was also about the memories. I remember how we had races to eat them....but after a whole 10 hour car drive to Utah...we were lucky to have survived licking the outer shell away!!! So...I let my kids get the lollipops. Hopefully they will have good memories from it, just as I did. So really...the lollipops weren't a waste of money afterall. All in all, the 4th was a fun day.


The casualty



My fruit salad that was inspired/copied from my mom!


Self explanatory!!






It looks like Cayden got his lollipop stuck to his hair, haha!




________________________________________________________________

8TH OF JULY

Now, yesterday would have been my dad's 60th birthday. Yesterday I thought about how we use to tease him and my mom about how by the time their youngest daughter Nicole is in high school, and as she got to be treated to dinner at a nice restaurant for getting good grades...that mom and dad would be able to get the senior discount!! That still makes me laugh. I can't help but get sad, though, when I think about all the things he and my mom were looking forward to doing together as they got older. The other day I finally got some pictures put in a cute country frame I'd bought like a year ago. I put a picture of my dad in his combine, a pic of him on the LDS trek from years ago...and also a picture of Nicole when she was little, sitting in the Pioneer cart my dad had built for the trek. My dining room is country so it looks great there...and is also near our computer desk so I always glance at it now while on the computer (hey, it's a BIG dining room). I've said it before, but I'm so just glad for the Gospel and the knowledge that we have that my family will see Dad again. I'm not afraid to admit that sometimes I talk out loud to my dad...and I smile as I think of him thinking "Michelle, don't worry about me...I'm in a better place than all of you guys right now...I'll see you soon enough!!"






My dad...born on July 8th.

I found this pic of my dad...I'd never noticed how Nicole looks JUST like him in this pic!!!

And this post would not be complete without a picture of my Mom & Dad together. She is who she is because of him, and he is who he is because of her. They brought out the best in eachother. And together, they've helped bring out the best in all of us kids! I love you!!!

7 comments:

The Graham Family! said...

YOUR BLOG LOOKS SO GOOD! I love the intro slide show! I need to get some pictures of dad! I have hardly any.. how did you get all those of him as a kid especially?? holy cow.. that was an awesome post! Love you!!

*MICHELLE CAUDLE* said...

Thanks Stacy!! It was so much fun to put together!! Time consuming...but well worth it! I have a whole folder of pics on my puter of dad...I think it was Heidi who gave me a CD of pics of Dad. I think it's all the ones they used for the DVD slideshow she had made of Dad. I should be able to get Tyler to burn a CD for you of them?!

tamikay said...

Love the slide show! I'm going to have to look for that CD of Dad. I'm sure it's here somewhere!

*MICHELLE CAUDLE* said...

Thanks Tami! Hopefully you have the CD, it's so fun to go through all those pics of Dad and show the kids and point out the characteristics they have of him!! If you can't find it let me know and I'll burn you one.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

Okay...I didn't sleep all night after watching the DVD. I get really lonely without DAD but with Nicole gone...it was really lonely. I got on my knees and prayed for comfort. I knew Dad was in the room. I felt his spirit. I crawled into bed and felt he was near. I am such a Boob! Thank you for continueing to honor your Dad...he lives and loves all of you too! Love Ya, MOM

*MICHELLE CAUDLE* said...

Mom, I'm so glad that dad is able to let us feel his presence at times. I'm sorry that you had to be alone!! Was Nicole at a friends house?? I wish I lived closer...I'd be over there bugging ya ALL the time!! :-) I love you!

Warren Caudle said...

If I may impart a bit here, I had a great respect for Paul. He was our home teacher and friend. Our association with your family started with him. When I was serving as the High Priests Group Leader, Paul was in the Bishopric. We had several opportunities for service, and just goofing around. He was such a good example to me. I remember the Trek in 1997, and all the HARD work he did to support the people on it. Your Mom and Dad were an ideal couple. They always looked at each other and smiled (when your dad was on the stand). It was cute to watch and made me think about the love I have for my dear wife.

I too miss your father. He is with you, as your mom said. He is in the eyes of your children. I see him in Cayden's face so much.