Friday, January 30, 2009

I don't mean to complain... but make it stop!

Last night, the kids and I drove to pick up Tyler from work. On the way home I started to cough (that tends to happen with bronchitis) and all of a sudden I heard a "POP" sound from my upper left side where my ribs are. Then I started getting an intense stabbing pain everytime I moved, coughed, even breathed. We were going to stop at Michael's Craft Store so that I could run in by myself real quick and use my 40% off coupon on a big skein of yarn...and Tyler said we better go straight home. I told him no chance, and I managed to suck up the pain long enough to run through the store and get my yarn (I already knew exactly what I needed to grab). When we got home I called the E.R. We were just there a few days ago for Tyler's head so I wasn't surprised when the guy said that there is a 2+ hour wait right now. I talked to a triage nurse about my problem and she said she'd be happy to take a look if I came in tonight...but then I asked her what they could do if the rib was even broken. Basically they send you home with pain meds and tell you to rest a lot. I decided there was no point in going in. I've gotten used to breathing as shallow as possible because before this incident my ribs were already extremely sore...so that helps lessen the pain...and I've figured out that if I curl into a ball, or lean way over when coughing and hold my ribs, I can bear the pain...as long as I make my cough shallow.
Good news on the other hand...yesterday I was able to smell soap, and today I ate bean & ham soap and was able to taste it!! The antibiotics are clearing up the sinus infection!! Thank goodness...because I was going through taste withdrawals big time! Yesterday I was craving Olive Garden, and then as I drove by IHop I was craving the taste of pancakes...anything that has FLAVOR! One nice thing about losing my taste though...was that 2 days ago I was able to sit down with a big bowl of TOMATO SOAP and toast, and I could feel the warm creaminess of the soup run down my throat, it was just as I'd always imagined it could taste like! A little explanation on that...I HATE tomato soap. I watch people eat it on the tv commercials and it looks so incredibly delicious...but when I've actually tried it, it has always tasted bitter and nasty to me. It's the only dish I've ever eaten that I just cannot stand! But for that one day...when I was still pretty much tasteless...I was able to enjoy it. Good times!
Addy's stomach seems better...no more having to change her whole outfit 10 times a day thank goodness! Cayden's ear infections haven't been bothering him and I'm sure they are clearing up quickly with his antibiotics. Luckily Tyler has been a huge help over the last several weeks. Since there's not much else he can do for me, he's very willing to help get the house in order and take turns cooking meals! Thank you Tyler!

2 comments:

WalkConkies said...

Not fun, Michelle! Hope you get feeling better quick! The girls just got diagnosed w/ double ear infections. The "most wonderful time of the year" with kiddos just seems to be that way most years!!! But it is all worth it. I just have to keep telling myself that we will appreciate being healthy much more (for a while anyway until we remember how miserable it is to be sick) when we are healthy again!

Cassidy said...

Coming from someone who's broken 5 ribs, I FEEL FOR YOU!!!! I know EXACTLY what you feel like. I'm sooo sorry chica! Unfortunately that nurse is right. They can't do anything. Stinks, huh! Take care girl!