Thursday, January 8, 2009

Goals for 2009

It's unlike me to post so many times in such a short time, but the last couple of days I've been thinking about what I want to accomplish this year. A year really does go by quickly so I've been trying to make my list as "accomplishable" as possible so that I don't get frustrated. I would like to get more physically in shape...and that is important, but I'm going to try not to focus on the "lose a little weight" type of goal!

1. BEEF UP OUR FOOD STORAGE!! - We have a very tiny pantry closet. It is also the only closet (beside bedroom closets) to put stuff in so only half of it is able to be used for food storage. We need to either buy some kind of cupboard or storage thing to put in our carport to put non-food items in so that there is more room in the "pantry" for food...or buy some kind of thing for in our dining room to put more food storage in.

2. a)LEARN TO PLAY MORE HYMNS ON THE PIANO! (not simplified hymns!) Today I opened my hymn book and started slowly plunking through "The Morning Breaks" on page 1. I figured that was a good place to start! It's going to be quite a process, but I am determined. Especially since yesterday my husband mentioned he's going to start again trying to learn to play the Simplified Hymns. After taking YEARS of lessons, I refuse to let my quick-learning husband pass me up! I need to buy all the Technic books to help me retrain my fingers to move quickly!!

b)TEACH SHAYLEE PIANO - This was quite challenging the last time I tried. I try to teach her to sit up straight and curve her fingers the right way which she absolutely hates, and then she hates repeating things so she isn't crazy about practicing the same things over and over til it's perfect! I'm determined to atleast teach her the first year or two though. Then after that maybe she'd listen to a real teacher more than me!!

3. a) SPEND MORE TIME CRAFTING, RATHER THAN FINDING MORE AND MORE PROJECTS!!! - This is hard to do...there are just so many free, fun, cute ideas out there so I love surfing the internet and bookmarking all the cute projects. The problem is, I have enough projects bookmarked right now to last me atleast two lifetimes, and I don't know how much crafting we'll get to do in the next life!! :-) So...I'm going to try to stick first to the projects I've already started or bought supplies for, and to ones that are for special occasions like holidays, birthdays... (such as the count-down calendars pieces I cut out 2 years ago but still haven't sewn them together because sewing machines intimidate me), and most importantly, projects that beautify our home!

b) TEACH SHAYLEE MORE CHALLENGING CRAFTS! - She gets frustrated easily...but I know that if I could help her concentrate on a craft that takes a little concentration, it might help her with her ability to sit still and focus. She loves choices, so I need to make a list of things she can choose to make, and give her the supplies and teach her how it's done. Like me, she needs things that don't take TOO long to make though because then she loses interest.

Well those are my top 3 goals. My other goals include keeping my house really organized, budgeting better, finding ways to enjoy the hot Texas outdoors more, and many more...but my top 3 are things I absolutely will focus on and remind myself of every day!

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

Good luck with the goals!! Your background looks cute!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I sooooo remember the fun of teaching sewing and crafting. I am really bad on the patience thing. Nicole got a sewing machine for Christmas and guess what...I get to work on that attribute again! :)

WalkConkies said...

I love New Year Resolutions. Good luck accomplishing yours! I need to set up a specific time to teach Drew piano too. I keep meaning to, but unless I pick a specific time of the day or week to do things like that it just never happens!!! Love the new dining set too! I got ours at a yard sale too for an incredible deal - just need to glue together half of the chairs. Got to love a great deal! (esp. when you think that the people you bought it from probably payed 5-10 times that!) I wish you were closer so we could yard sale for furniture together!

*MICHELLE CAUDLE* said...

YAY, just had a successful piano lesson with Shaylee. She was getting really frustrated but I explained to her that I'm teaching her because she wants to learn, not because I'm making her, and I will stop if she starts getting mad at me! That made her calm down long enough to finish the lesson! She actually did really well! MOM, Shaylee wants to learn to sew too! I told her I'd teach her to hand sew some little toys, then maybe one of her Grandma's can show BOTH of us how to really sew with a machine, haha!


Thanks CASSIDY!


HEIDI, I'd love to go to yard sales to find furniture if I was closer!! We've started to look at used vans at the dealerships here so we can use our tax return to get one in a few weeks and I'm SOOO excited! Now I actually COULD look for furniture at yard sales because I will have something to haul things away IN!!