Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Zachary updates & a dress for Addy


I should be taking a nap, since the other kids are...but I wanted to hurry and post some more photos real quick! The first two nights that Zach was home were tough...he's been extremely gassy, and also wanted to eat every hour but wouldn't stay awake long enough to eat much! Last night he actually slept really well...he only woke up once to be fed! I've been so sleep deprived that I've been feeling pretty sick, like an exhausted sick. Luckily the sleep I got last night has given me more energy today though so at the moment I'm feeling pretty good!
I've recently become addicted to sewing!?! I have had a sewing machine for years and years that my mom bought for me (she bought each of us girls one to learn on) and hadn't used it much, and recently it went "kaput". It wouldn't do a straight stitch...the tension was messed up and no matter what I did (and what other people who knew more about sewing machines did) would fix the problem. Anyway, I recently got my hands on a new machine and I am in love! It has made sewing so smooth & easy...even for a COMPLETE beginner like me!! I found the cutest tutorial to make these little dresses out of handkerchiefs...I'll include the link down by the pic of Addy wearing the dress I made! Enjoy the pics!

Here's Zach showing off the blanket I crocheted just for him...I got the yarn on clearance at Michael's for $1 per skein...so it only cost me $5 to make...jackpot (plus after washing it, it was SO soft!!) !!



The pic above and the one below are off Addy and Zach after falling asleep before our normal nap time because they'd kept me up all night the night before (Addy wakes up & cries whenever the Zach does at night even though they aren't in the same bedroom!!) !

I appliqued this onesie! Here's a tutorial & pattern for it: http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2009/04/tieguitar-pattern-is-here.html

I also made the tie onesie in one of the other pics. Unfortunately I didn't have my new sewing machine yet when I made them...and at first I didn't like how uneven my hand-stitching was turning out...but I like it a lot by the time I was done! Today I was thinking that I so need to make a superman onesie with a little cape on the back...Cayden would just LOVE to see his baby brother as a superhero!!

Tami sent a package for Zach that included these glasses (as well as a couple other things for the kids, and a couple of BEAUTIFUL blankets she'd made...oh and my mom sent the cutest baby outfits, diaper bag, baby blankets, and a TUXEDO BLESSING OUTFIT...oh my goodness I am so spoiled!!!)...but anyway Addy LOVES the glasses!!

Daddy holding the "babies"


Addy hasn't gotten sick of playing "mom" yet! She loves his little "doze" (toes)...& in this pic she's giving him binky options!

So these last two pics are off a dress I made for Addy...from Halloween dishclothes found at Target in their $1 area (but they are $2.50). No I wasn't creative enough to think of this myself...here is the link to where I copied the idea:

http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2009/09/10-minute-dish-towel-dress.html

From there you can find her link to her "bandana dress"! Hobby Lobby has lots of bandanas for only $1 (I also found some on clearance for 59 cents)...so for less than $2 each, you can make all kinds of fast, cute, easy little dresses!! I have some black with white polka dot ones I'm going to use for a cute church dress. I'll be sure to make Addy wear a white shirt under it though so she'll be a little more modest! Tyler thinks this dress is really cute, but he said "You know, people might take her outfit two ways...either that you are very creative & crafty, or that you are very poor so you make clothes out of dishcloths!" Well...I wouldn't have made this dress out of any old dishclothes...I want her to look cute...not tacky...but these dishcloths are definitely not tacky & you can't even tell what the dress is made of anyway! I thought that for sure the ribbons on her shoulders would bug her, but she only touched them carefully once, and never touched them again!

3 comments:

The Graham Family! said...

Those dresses are soooo cute! How fun! I love sewing too. I go thru spurts where my stuff for making bows is out for like a week while i make some everyday... or my sewing machine is out for a few days. Fun times. Zach is SO SO cute! I wish I could hold him!

tamikay said...

The dress turned out adorable, and I love the appliqued onsies. I just bought a quilt applique book at a yard sale, and I'm excited to try it out. I figure I can make the kids' clothes last a little longer if I applique over stains and/or holes, and it's such a cute look. Thanks for the inspiration!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

That is one cute baby...actually it is two cute babies!!! I am so proud of your ability to learn new things. You are a Super MOM! Love Ya!!!