Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Update on Cayden

Cayden had his surgery/extraction/child TORTURE at 8 a.m. this morning. Someone came to take him back to the room and I'd told him I'd be with him the whole time, but they didn't want me to come back since it'd be done quickly...and I'm guessing because kids act a little more brave when their parent isn't there to baby them. But I was upset and almost cried as I had to peel his hand off my arm and let him go. I tried to crochet while waiting but my hands were pretty shaky. Cayden and Addy haven't been sleeping well so I haven't been sleeping well...and with all of the recent events...I was just exhausted and worried. Well anyway, in a matter of minutes I was able to go back and see him. He looked scared and his eyes were bloodshot. I couldn't believe how incredibly long teeth really are until I saw his! One of them had already started to darken, proving it was dead and going to come out eventually, one way or another! The front of his gums were pretty chopped up from the accident, so they also put 2 dissolving stitches up there so that it won't cause problems when his adult teeth come in! (They didn't put any stitches in where the teeth were pulled though) The two teeth on either side of those front teeth also got affected by the accident, and may eventually fall out, but they aren't affecting his ability to bit down so were are leaving them put. For a couple hours he couldn't see anything very well, but now after resting, and then taking a nap, he seems to be doing really good. Right now he's eating one of his favorite treats...yogurt. He keeps saying that he can feel his adult teeth growing!! I was supposed to teach Joy School again tomorrow but luckily I was able to switch with another mom, so he'll be able to stay home and rest tomorrow, too. I'm just glad that he may be able to be all done with the doctors and dentists for awhile and start to heal up!!

3 comments:

tamikay said...

That is such a relief! Your family has been in our prayers, and we hope Cayden will heal quickly. Travis knocked out his front two teeth when he was about 2, and it didn't seem to effect his speech. I remember how worried I was when they put Colton under at 18 months. An hour seems like forever when it's your child.

Give Cayden a big hug from us!

laura said...

good luck, I have had 2 kid and 3 surgerys between them!! not fun but tomarrow is always better, my thoughts are with you!!

Carolyn said...

How is Cayden doing now a day? Poor kid. I knocked one of my front teeth out when I was 2 years old and it didn't grow in until I was 8! I couldn't eat so many yummy foods...corn on the cob, apples...oh man.