Monday, March 16, 2009

Some People's Children!


We've been having trouble with a 5 year-old girl next door. She comes into our carport and backyard, towing an older girl along with her. They steal things. They move things. The little girl even peaks in our windows throughout the day (doesn't even knock, just watches...scares the crap out of me). One night at 8:30 p.m., our kids were in bed and it was dark outside...Tyler had a friend over and they were opening baseball cards the friend had ordered out at the kitchen table. All of a sudden the little girl knocks on our side door and yells "GOODNIGHT", then laughs and runs away (our side light wasn't even on so we wouldn't have known it was her if we didn't know her voice!). Months back, Tyler had a few fireworks sitting in the carport (ya, great place for them) and this little girl steals them and lights them off in her front yard (don't ask me how she was lighting them...we didn't have matches or anything outside). I've never been SO frustrated with a child before!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep telling her where she needs to stay away from so she's not playing in our carport, but then she badmouths me to her older friend when she thinks I can't hear her, and keeps sneaking back into the carport when she thinks I can't see her. This probably seems silly to you but it's just so annoying...I can't stand it when kids are bratty to adults. She also knocks on the side door to see if Shaylee can play, Shaylee usually doesn't want to, then the girl grills her with "why not's" for ten minutes, then the girl leaves and comes back 5 minutes later to ask if she wants to play now. It can go on for hours.
Anyway, today we all went in the backyard to take some family pictures, and our landlord's grandson came over to find out what was going on. We explained the problems, & then when the little girl's mom came over, he decided he better not get TOO involved yet (his grandparents own the neighbor's house too)! She tried to "nicely" scold me for telling her daughter twice that I'd call the cops if she couldn't stay off our land (Actually the girl kept asking what I was going to do if she didn't stay off our land, so I finally told her ONE TIME, that first I'd talk to her mom, then if it continued, that I would have to talk to the cops about trespassing...which sounds ridiculous but if she wasn't stealing things then this wouldn't be as bad of an issue) The woman says she works at home and she just recently took her daughter out of daycare. She works from home but doesn't have time to watch her all day so she lets her run around with two older kids that keep going into people's backyards, too!? She kept pointing out that her daughter is only five, yet my son is 4 and I always make sure he is respectful of people and their land and things.
Sorry this is a long venting post. I guess I have to accept that I can't change other people and their children, but I can make sure that MY kids are respectful of others. Ugh, I hate contention. Maybe I'll have to make some cookies to take over or something to help clear the air. Sometimes I really wish I didn't have such a guilty conscience.

6 comments:

tamikay said...

That sounds a little annoying!!! I definitely think a 5-yr.-old should be held accountable for those kind of actions! I hope things work out better in the future.

Rachel and Jason said...

You have nothing to feel guilty about. What you should do (I would probably do this lol... but I'm mean, maybe), is call the cops and tell them there are some little kids unaccounted for in the neighborhood and get the mom in trouble this way lol... ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, but you have no reason to feel guilty, especially if she's stealing things! Did you mention the stealing part to her mother??? Wow... I'm sorry you have to deal with that, but really, don't feel guilty, because then that woman will think she's in the right!

The Graham Family! said...

That is WAY annoying!! I would have done the same thing Michelle!! That's ridiculous. Some people seriously should just not be allowed to have kids because they obviously don't take care of them.. it's annoying!

Unknown said...

You should make Joe go talk to them. He has an amazing gift for getting his way and making everything right in the world. He is in charge of all confrontations around here and any conversation in general I don't want to have. I wish you lots of luck and although harsh maybe calling the cops isn't a bad idea.

WalkConkies said...

We've had issues w/ some little kids next door too. They would bring their backpacks and FILL them w/ our toys. When I'd ask them on their way out the door(after our toys were coming up missing) they'd say it was their stuff. I never had the guts to talk to the parents about it. They'd bring back toys one by one. They have their house up for sale - to move down a street or two. So, I just keep hoping they act okay until they move :). Of course, who knows if their house will sell. They also about broke our projector downstairs that we have always told the kids is off limits. Between that and their always playing in the street for hours at a time - even the 2 year old, I just have learned that I really want to supervise and teach my children and know what they are up to (not just hope they aren't getting into trouble)! But, I would definitely encourage you to be open w/ the mother - if she doesn't consider her child responsible - then he should at least consider herself responsible for her child's actions!!! Sorry, I guess I'm venting a little too. I'm glad we have such good kids!!! :)

The Mechams said...

I totally feel for you Michelle, we have similar problems with our Downstairs neighbor...and her mom is our land lord. She has a bratty red headed little boy who I could drop kick. I wish there was something I could do for you, but you'll just have to do with my support. Love ya!